For almost five decades, Western States Endurance Run ( WSER ) has been home to some of the sport’s most stirring and legendary competitions. With more than 1,500 dedicated volunteers helping to create a once-in-a-lifetime experience, the WSER has stirred the spirit of runners from all walks of life, from all over the globe.
Offering the sport’s oldest and most prized possession – a sub-24-hour Sterling silver belt buckle and a sub-30-hour bronze belt buckle – Western States remains one of the undisputed crown jewels of human endurance.
If you have been one of the few lucky people to share in what for many is a once-in-a-lifetime experience of earning a Western States belt buckle (either during the WSER or the WSTR), Congratulations! Here are some things to know about it.
1) Your Western States belt buckle will tarnish and change color over time. This does not affect the integrity of the buckle or material, it is JUST a change in color. The tarnish is actually the result of a chemical reaction between the silver (or bronze) and sulfur-containing substances in the air. If you live some place humid, the discoloration may be worse.
2) If you wear your Western States belt buckle often, it will most likely get things like scratches, grooves, and general "wear and tear"
3) If you wear your WSER/WSTR buckle, the bar on the back will get looser as it moves and the tongue (the part that goes into the holes in your belt) may get loose depending on how tight your belt is cinched.
4) Our family comes to the awards ceremony each year to place your name on the back of your award buckle. In the rush and excitement, your name MAY be spelled wrong. This happens very rarely, but if it does, please send it back to us and we will fix it and ship it back to you at no charge.
5) If you need a replacement team roping or 100 mile belt buckle, please contact Gloria Takagishi and she will help you with the process.
6) These buckles have a 1.5" bar on the back, meaning if you would like to order a belt for your Western States belt buckle, we recommend choosing a 1.5" wide belt.
7) Every WSER/WSTR buckle is made by hand, so each one is going to be a little different from the rest of them.
8) The letters on the front of your buckle are hand painted on with black enamel paint. If for some reason you get your buckle around paint thinner, it will take the paint out of the letters.
If ANY OF THIS HAPPENS TO YOU, please call us at 775-882-8500 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org so we may help. We will polish, fix or repair (within reason) your belt buckle with our Comstock Heritage lifetime warranty.
Please send your buckle (AFTER CONTACTING US) to 75 McCabe Drive, BOX 17860, Reno NV 89511 with your name, return address, your contact phone number and $15 for return FedEx 2nd Day shipping (it is what we use and insure)